Sunday, June 26, 2011

A place of inspiration for women

Get inspiration on this facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/beautiful.place.for.beautiful.women

My mother inspires me

The picture below is a painting that started out as a self-portrait, but turned out to be an unmistakeable protrait of my mother. You might call it "Mother and Child", but I named it "Lilly's Guardian".

Originally, the figure had one bruised eye, just because I never quite finished the painting and then started thinking that it looked right like that. Neither my mother nor I have ever been given a black eye nor have we been abused physically. To me, the bruised eye was just a symbol of the hurts and scars that we acquire in the course of our lives.

Eventually I had to fix the eye, because people used to be very upset by the painting. Strangely enough, some people still react to it like that. Personally, I see more of angel than a victim in the painting. The resemblance with my mother reminds me of her strength and resilience, which has always been a good example for me to try to copy when I lose heart.

She is now 83 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment